Friday, November 28, 2008

Lacoste Shirts

From a book about the history of fashion that I read a few years back:

Polo Shirts
Like sweaters and jerseys, polo shirts represented another boon for the knitwear industry. They were so fashionable in resorts from Palm Beach to the Riviera that a reporter sent to the south of France in 1935 warned that "polo shirts have resulted in the oneness of the sexes and the equality of classes. Ties are gone. Personal touches, out. Individualism, abolished. Personality, extinct. The Riviera has produced a communism that would be the envy of the U.S.S.R."

I lived the commie life--in terms of fashion, at least--in between my western wear phase and my Florida retiree phase.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ahh...so you had a lot of flamingo shirts?

Charles P. Everitt said...

No. Track suits.

The proper description of my Lacoste phase was "At the Club" (the country club, that is).